Thursday, January 02, 2014

Where Are the Black Boys?


Yesterday, I posted a video of Cornel West talking about where Black people are. Today, I'm posting a photo. Just a photo. I don't think a post is necessary to make this point. In fact, I think a post would be inappropriate because it would take away the time we should spend just looking at the photo.

This photo of a young Black boy standing in a cell in Mississippi was taken by Richard Ross for his photo-survey entitled Juvenile-in-Justice published as a book in 2012 and turned into a project website more recently.

Do all young Black boys go to jail? Of course not. Do far, far too many wind up there? Absolutely. Why? I have looked at that many times on this blog and will continue to do so, including again tomorrow.

In the meantime, spend some time with this photo.

No comments: