Monday, April 16, 2012

By Way of Explanation



I have, from time to time, over the six years since I began writing this blog, been less available to it than usual. When this happens, it wrecks my life on some level, following me around at my heels like an orphan child asking for alms or food or attention. Still, it is what it is.

Do I have things to say about the socially-constructed, political notion of "race"? Oh, yeah. Do I walk around accomplishing the more pressing matters of my life with a half-baked post turning to stone in the oven of my mind? Ad nauseum. Yet, in the greater scheme of things, there are only twenty-four hours in the day and I'm already using seventeen of them -- on average -- at break-neck speed.

For one thing, I've trapped myself on another blog, as well. Entitled In Your Face Women, I expect it to become the commercial motherlode Why Am I Not Surprised? has failed to become. Still, one doesn't love one child more than another. It's just that In Your Face Women is a daily demander for 2012, with my intention to publish it as a little book (myself, if need be) in early 2013. I invite you to drop by over there, if you're so inclined.

Nevertheless, In Your Face Women will not be a daily demander forever (at least I hope not!). But life in general gets in the way, too, such as when I have to earn a living or I decide to celebrate my birthday by chilling all day Saturday at the French Quarter Music Festival (where I partied to Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, among other bands, and ate lunch at Margaritaville on Decatur Street).

I lost a couple of followers recently and I'm wincing yet over it. I've tried to tell myself that they might have decided to take up guitar instead of reading blogs or moved to the country taking only books with them, but I know that I'm not producing at the rate I need to. Like I say, it is what it is.

Still, as long as you hang in there, I will, too.

No comments: