Sunday, November 11, 2007

Little? White Lies

This has been a hectic and somewhat disconcerting week, during which I have received some information with which I have not been able to come to grips as yet. There are many whisperings, some quite frightening, frankly. But there are many people--both African-American and European-American--who stand strong in their commitment to make this a better world. I simply don't trust myself to write about this stuff yet. So, rather than leave you hanging, I post this Barry Deutsch cartoon* about the stuff White people tell themselves to rationalize and justify their clinging to the sickness of racism. Joe Feagin calls these "sincere fictions." I would argue that they're FAR from sincere.

James Baldwin once said, "You can find out everything you need to know about race in the United States by asking a White person would they like to be Black." And that's what I'm talkin' about.
__________________________________________________________
*Click on the cartoon to make it large enough to see clearly or print out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that I love it that you never keep your mouth shut about injustices you see. There aren't enough mouthes that know how to work it, in this world today. I'm glad to come across some other ones. :-)

changeseeker said...

Thanks, Charity. I'm just doing what comes naturally: fighting for my life. Nobody's free until we're all free.