Friday, January 14, 2011

Study Malcolm, Garvey, Huey

Five years ago today, I created this blog on the socially-constructed, political notion of race. I've had a few two-month hiatuses during that time and I've seen some of the best come and then go. And I understand. But for whatever reason, I can't seem to walk away.

At five years, it's the longest commitment I've ever had. Longer than any job. Longer than any marriage. And if I don't stop soon, I may not be able to.

Last week, I got a notice of "unusual activity" on my gmail account and was blocked from entering it. They asked me for a phone number in order to send me a "verification code." More than a little wary and basically unwilling anyway, I sent out some questions to a computer savvy young person I know. But before I could get an answer, I discovered that my blogger account was also blocked.

I went into such an instant tailspin that I gave them the phone number without another thought. Hell, I'd have given them my bra size if they'd asked for it. You're my peeps. And the thought of being pushed into never-never land without a chance to say good-bye was more than I could bear.

The day may come, Faithful Readers, but it looks as if they'll have to carry me out of here. Everybody has a niche. And I'm busy on a number of fronts. But this blog is apparently my foxhole. And after five years, I may be chained to this laptop. I hope so.

So I'll go into the next five putting Dead Prez in the spotlight tonight as they tell us why it's important not just to know, but to study the truths handed down by those who went before. Upward and onward. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

6 comments:

fwoan said...

Love Dead Prez, especially this song!

changeseeker said...

You're the one that turned me onto it, fwoan. ;^) Thanks.

Benji Germish said...

Slavoj Žižek - Living In The End Times. Speech at London School of Economics July 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DxzpPs1pF0

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. It is a dark time in American history.

changeseeker said...

You're welcome, Anonymous. And yes, it's a dark time in human history just now.

Anonymous said...

my mantra....i have my 8 yr old singing this everyday....