Thursday, November 26, 2009

One Love

Sometimes we think love only has to do with big red lips on a movie screen or particular body parts. Most of us have been socialized -- at least in this culture -- to imagine that love only appears in certain forms, is unpredictable and unavoidable (like a car wreck), instinctual and manifested only as lust or motherly hormones.

I believe love is the breath in our bones, deeper than space, as multifaceted as life itself, and more amazing than rainbows. No matter how dense the darkness, the smallest candle can light the way. And nothing, nothing can erase its truth or its effect.

I choose to love. In the face of all greed, ignorance and cruelty. In the face of all the sorrows of the past -- personal and historical. In the face of all Power. I see love in the eyes of humans and animals, in the branches of trees, and in the ring around the moon. I dance to love in music, drink it in the form of colors, celebrate it in stillness and will it to surround and sustain all who suffer.

Our campus has been blessed this semester by a healthy contingent of Nepalese students and I have seven or eight of them in classes. One day at an exam review session, I asked them to teach me a Nepalese greeting and they replied "Namaste," putting their slightly cupped hands together under their chins.

"Oh, yes!" I responded. "I read somewhere that 'namaste' means 'God in me recognizes God in you'. Is that correct?"

They considered this for a moment and then suggested instead that their translation might be more like: "You are so beautiful, I want to make my hands into a flower and give it to you."

Namaste.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice song, nice article.

changeseeker said...

Thank you, Slava. I tried to leave a comment under the film you mentioned earlier, by the way, but it wanted me to sign up on the site with a username and password and, not being able to read the language, I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I feel so lacking because I'm only fluent in English.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for those difficalties. I'll send a message about it to our editor.

changeseeker said...

I figured out how to register, Slava, and then read some articles in English, but I couldn't locate an article about the women featured in the film (the ones who were fired). Is there an English article on the site about the situation?

Unknown said...

Sometimes our editors translate our articles in English. Hope, they will do it soon.

Unknown said...

I've made a film about unique find which our archeologists found in last field sesson. It was carried to our region from the South Ukrain 4000 years ago. Scientists say it had a big magic meaning.
Film here
http://www.kavkaz-uzel.ru/blogs/posts/2888

Tinsmith Snow said...

Their translation is so much more beautiful!

changeseeker said...

Slava, do you know where I could read something in English on the find you refer to in the video? I'd very much like to know more. If you'll tell me the name of the find or the exact location, I might be able to turn up something on google.

Ishani said...

We all are love, the infinite source of love, joy, peace and stillness...we are all One...

Namaste

Ishani Ishaya

www.thebrightpath.com