Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A Home Is Where The Heart Is

I just found out that the house I was to move into in twelve days has been sold out from under me. And yes, it was legal. So now I've spent an hour on the phone talking to people that sound like they could have pulled bit parts in the movie "Deliverance" (trying not to wind up having to call my daughter for help with the rent). AND the small town I'm moving to is having an influx of students snatching up every affordable space in sight even as I write this--while I can't run right over and hold my own.

Pretty discouraging.

Then I remembered this video of young people who also are looking for a home. They're being shut out of the process they have worked so hard to deserve, but their dreams are still in their eyes and their difficulties are much greater than just me finding a place to hang my hat.

One way or the other, I'll have a home in two weeks, but the process is going to be much longer for these kids, who will actually need legislation for them to know they're home. Think about it. Consider their situation. And do what you can.

Thanks to Kyle at Immigration Orange for tipping me to this one.

4 comments:

Peacechick Mary said...

Maybe we could keep those who work hard and apply themselves and send the loafers to the respective countries of those who deserve a good chance. Just a thought.

MODI said...

on both counts this really sucks

¿Yh8? said...

Hah, cool, I have that vid in my favorites folder with the intent of posting on my blog sometime.

It's great someone else is paying attention to these children as well.

Sorry to hear about your prob but thanks for sharing the thoughtful tie-in to the issues.

Changeseeker said...

Mary: I know what you mean, but I'm not sure there would be any "loafers" if everybody could offer what they love to do instead of having to line up to punch in. It's a loooooong path to get THERE, though.

Modi: Indeed, indeed.

yh8?: No reason we can't both use it (ain't YouTube grand?). After all, I picked it up at someone else's blog. As for the personal/political plug-in, perspective is everything.